Get Started at UCR
Getting Started at UCR
Welcome to UCR! To help you adjust to life at the university and in the U.S., we have put some introductory material together such as transportation to UCR and new student check-list. At orientation, we will cover all of the information you need to get settled at UCR over the course of several workshops on campus.
Going through these resources and instructions together in person gives you an opportunity to not only get to know us, but also other international students and scholars who will be going through a similar journey as you.
Getting to UCR From the Airport
From Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Distance: 110 kilometers or 68 miles
- Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services: Many rideshare services pick up at LAX airport (please note: there is now a designated area for rideshare pick up and drop off). Please check the estimated costs before you arrive. Prices vary depending on demand and time of day
- Metrolink and LAX Flyaway Bus: The LAX flyaway bus will pick up at the airport and take you to L.A. Union Station. From Union Station, you can take the Metrolink train to the Riverside area. Please see the Metrolink website for ride times and prices.
From Ontario International Airport (ONT)
Distance: 34 kilometers or 21 miles
- Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services: Many rideshare services pick up at Ontario airport. Please check the estimated costs before you arrive. Prices vary depending on demand and time of day.
Entering the United States
Whether entering the United States from land or air, you should be prepared to show the following documents at the port of entry:
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months in the future)
- F1 or J1 visa (if required for your country of origin)
- Valid Form I-20 (F1) or Form DS-2019 (J1)
- Receipt of SEVIS fee payment (I-901)
- UCR Admission Letter (recommended)
- Financial Support Documentation
While You Are Here: Local Transportation
- Bicycling at UC Riverside is safe and convenient with bike lanes, bike cages and a Cyclist Program.
- Riverside Transit Agency (RTA) provides free rides for UC Riverside students, while Metrolink offers transportation to five surrounding counties along a regional rail system.
- Taxi and shuttle services operate in and around the Riverside area.
Check-in is MANDATORY for all international students.
If you are an F1 or J1 student and do not complete your check-in, you will not be registered in
SEVIS as an active student and you may fall out of status.
Please bring originals of the following documents with you to orientation:
- Required: Completed International Student Personal Record Form.
- Required: Your local contact information and emergency contact information to include on the form (Your emergency contact must be a family member or legal guardian)
- Recommended: Your I-94 record.
Obtaining your I-94 record
Your I-94 record will only be available AFTER your arrival to the U.S Click the following link here.
Click on “Get Most Recent I-94” and enter your personal information on the next page.
Please see the page Travel Documents / Entering the U.S to confirm that your I-20 is correct and for who to contact if you find an error on your I-94.
After you enter the United States, go online to verify and print your I-94. Check that your personal information is accurate and that it states the correct visa type. You can access it at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94. Please print it and keep a copy with your immigration documents. If you enter through a land border, make sure to ask the CBP officer for an I-94 card. After each international re-entry, please make sure to check and print your new I94 record. If any information on your I94 is incorrect, please contact Deferred Inspection immediately to have your record corrected. Depending on your case, you may be required to report in person or submit documentation by email. The closest deferred inspection site is in Los Angeles:
300 N. Los Angeles St., Room 2067
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Hours of Operation: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Thursday
Phone: (213) 830-5972
Welcome to UCR. You will be notified by email once the Orientation Schedule is finalized. Once it is released, you can find it here:
Follow information can be found on UCR Health and Safety Site:
- Student Health
- Campus Health Center