Success and Wellness

International Center Banner Graphic

Strong Mind. Strong Body. Strong Future. 

Learn about immunization and insurance requirements, discover on-campus wellness resources, and find out how UCR can help you succeed as a student (and beyond).

U.S. Health Care Basics

We encourage you to utilize the Campus Health Center for service and referrals when possible, however, you may encounter a time when you require urgent medical attention. Please refer to the information below regarding local Urgent Care and Emergency Services. For any medical service, you must show proof of health insurance coverage or be prepared to pay for this service out of your own pocket.

Urgent Care
An urgent care clinic provides medical services to treat an illness or accident which is not life threatening but cannot wait for a scheduled
appointment during regular doctor's office hours. Services are available during regular office hours, in the evening, and on weekends.

Both the Riverside Community Hospital and the Riverside County Regional Medical Center have an Urgent Care Clinic on site.

Some insurance companies (for example, Health Net or Kaiser) may designate certain medical facilities for non-emergency treatment. Be sure to verify any restrictions on your coverage and payment for medical services.

In the event of a life-threatening illness or accident,call 911and ask for an ambulance. The injured person will be taken to the nearest hospital emergency room. Services are available every day of the week, 24 hours. (If you use the emergency room of a hospital for non-emergency treatment, you will have to pay higher fees for services.) The following identifies the Emergency Room facilities closest to UCR:

Riverside County Regional Medical Center
(Urgent Care and Emergency Services)
26520 Cactus Avenue
Moreno Valley, CA 92555
Main Phone Number:
Emergency Room:

Riverside Community Hospital
(Urgent Care and Emergency Services)
4445 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92501
Main Phone Number:
Emergency Room:

Kaiser Permanente Riverside Medical Center
(Emergency Services)
10800 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA
Emergency Room: 951.353.3800

Parkview Community Hospital
(Emergency Services)
3865 Jackson Street
Riverside, CA 92503
Main Phone Number: 951.688.2211

You Must Have Medical Insurance
All UCR students are required to have medical insurance. You will be enrolled in a UCR insurance plan automatically. The fee is included in your quarterly fee statement.

If you want to use your own insurance, you must apply for a waiver immediately. UCR will only accept your insurance in lieu of UC SHIP, if it meets requirements and has a claims paying agency in the U.S. Do not purchase health insurance in your home country without first contacting the Campus Health Center. For waiver questions, contact the Student Insurance Office at (951) 827-5683.

Your Dependents Must Have Medical Insurance
The U.S. federal government requires dependents to have insurance coverage while in the U.S. Contact us for details.

The Campus Health Insurance Office is located inside the Campus Health Center. Health insurance office contact information, as well as waiver forms, are available on the UCR Health Insurance webpage.

In addition to campus requirements, please note that all J-1 visa holders are required to have sickness and accident insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance in effect for the duration of their exchange visitor program per federal regulations. A willful failure to carry insurance is considered to be a violation of the Exchange Visitor Program regulations. Department of State treats willful failure to carry insurance as a serious infraction for which neither correction of the record nor reinstatement are available as remedies.

You May Need Temporary Travel Insurance
If you are in F-1 or J-1 status, your UCR insurance coverage will have a specific start date, generally only a week or two in advance of the beginning of the quarter. Please refer to communication from our office for the specific date for your program. You will need to purchase temporary travel insurance to cover you from the time you enter the U.S. until the insurance start date. Coverage for students in other immigration statuses usually begins on the first day of the quarter. Please check with UCR Health Insurance for your specific start date if you are unsure.

You May Need Immunizations
UCR may require you to be immunized either prior to or upon your arrival. Contact the Student Health Center at (951) 827-3031 or for details.

The Well
UCR cares about your total well-being. The Well is a great resource for activities that promote that. Take a meditation class, Zumba with your friends, or use a pedometer and earn prizes. Connect with community service opportunities or plug into a huge network of peers.

Student Health Services
Student Health Services provides walk-in appointments, outpatient medical care, pharmacy services, diagnostic tests, dental and eye exams, health education, lab and X-ray services, allergy shots and more.

Counseling Center
Get individual or couples counseling, find stress relief and connect with trained professionals who can help support your mental health.

Make an appointment or for 24-hour emergency assistance, call (951) 827-5531 (2TALK from campus phones).

Student Recreation Center (SRC)
Take fun fitness classes, lift weights and use the treadmills at our 155,000-square-foot facility. You can also play basketball, volleyball, tennis and more. The best part? You already have a membership! Fees are included in your quarterly fee statement. 

Outdoor Excursions
Hike, snowboard, kayak, snorkel and surf with Outdoor Excursions. You can also rent equipment through their office.


Resources That Support Your Success

Academic Resource Center (ARC)
ARC tutors (educators, counselors, and advanced students) offer drop-in tutoring, study skills workshops, special study sessions and more. All students are welcome and most services are free.

Student Special Services
If you need special learning accommodations or tools, the Academic Support Center at Student Special Services can help.

Housed in the Graduate Division, GradSuccess provides a variety of services to meet the needs of UCR’s diverse graduate student population including programs, workshops, seminars and consultations by appointment or drop-in.

Our Programs
The Global Connections Partner Program, International Spouses and Partners Program and our weekly discussion groups are all great opportunities to practice your English language skills (and make friends!).

Get involved.

Local Resources
UCR Extension, English Language Programs
Riverside Adult School, English as a Second Language (ESL)
Riverside City College, ESL

American Idioms, Slang, Acronyms and Textspeak Here is a fun, informative and interactive worksheet from the ISRC on American idioms, slang, acronyms and textspeak that are very common in college and specific to UCR.

Contact us for more English language resources. We are happy to refer you.

ISRC Workshops
From Optional Practical Training (OPT) to understanding legal employment options, our workshops are designed to help you find work and succeed.

See our calendar for upcoming workshop dates.

The Career Center

Search for jobs and internships, practice interviewing, attend career fairs and plan your next career steps at the Career Center.

Unique MBA Career Services

If you are in the MBA program, you can also connect with career services just for you.


See our Employment section for more information about how to work in the U.S. legally.

Jump to Top