Family members are welcome at UCR! Learn how to bring your immediate family to the U.S., obtain mandatory health insurance, connect with local childcare and attend our family-friendly events! Let us help you thrive as a family at UCR.
You may be able to add your dependents to your UCR insurance policy for an additional fee. Please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at 951-827-5683 for details. You may also purchase separate insurance plans for your dependents. A variety of insurance plan brochures are available at our office.
Get information on J-1 health insurance.
• Dependents of F-1 visa holders (F-2s) are not permitted to work.
• Dependents of J-1 visa holders may be granted permission to work by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when the earnings will be used to support dependents (but not for the support of the principal exchange visitor).
• There is a special application procedure to request employment permission. Contact us and we can assist you with the application.
• F-2 spouses are only permitted to study part-time.
• F-2 children may attend elementary and secondary schools (K-12) in the United States.
• If your F-2 dependent wishes to pursue his/her own studies in the U.S., please make an appointment with an international student advisor to learn about the process of a change of status to F-1.
• J-2 dependents may pursue a full course of study in any level/program that they gain admission to.
The UCR Child Development Center (CDC) offers safe, affordable childcare and kindergarten for children ages 2 months to
5 years old. It neighbors UCR Family Housing and is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. Subsidized
childcare is available to UCR students who qualify. There is a waiting list for the
CDC. There are other daycare and preschool options near UCR.
Families with school-age children should bring all previous academic records (original and in English) and immunization records (either issued through the World Health Organization or from your doctor). Children must have immunization records in order to enroll in school. Otherwise, they will be required to receive immunizations prior to enrollment.
Your child will be assigned to a school according to the location of your residence in Riverside. Please call the Riverside Unified School District at 951-788-7135 for specific information regarding enrollment and attendance guidelines.
Come to our yearly Getty Center excursion, Universal Studios trip, International Student Picnic and more! Check out our calendar for upcoming family-friendly events.
International Discussion Group
Practice your English and share your ideas at our informal weekly discussion groups. You’re invited on Mondays of the academic quarter from 5:15-6:30 p.m. at the ISRC. Refreshments are served. Further details will be sent in the ISRC Newsletters.
International Spouse & Partner Program
Make new friends, discover fun places in Riverside and share your culture. The International Spouse & Partner Program is a free program created especially for spouses, partners and children of international students, as well as the general community interested in an intercultural exchange. Past activities include Botanic Garden picnics and cultural dance presentations. See our calendar to find out when the program meets next.