Spouses and Children

International Center Banner Graphic

Support for Dependents 

Family members are welcome at UCR! Learn how to bring your immediate family to the U.S., obtain mandatory health insurance, connect with local childcare and attend our family-friendly events! Let us help you thrive as a family at UCR. 

If you would like your spouse and/or children to live with you while attending UCR, please contact us for help obtaining an I-20 form for the F-2 visa or a DS-2019 form for the J-2 visa..
You are required to report your dependents’ arrival and local address to our office.  Regulations require us to record and update this information in SEVIS. Please complete a student dependent personal record form immediately when your dependents arrive and submit it to the ISS office. If you are in F-1 status, you can submit the form online by logging in to MyForms.  If you are in J-1 status, you must submit the paper form.
International students and their family members must be covered by health insurance while in the U.S. This is especially important for J-2 dependents because they must follow specific Department of State requirements.

You may be able to add your dependents to your UCR insurance policy for an additional fee. Please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at 951-827-5683 for details. You may also purchase separate insurance plans for your dependents. A variety of insurance plan brochures are available at our office

Get information on J-1 health insurance.

• Dependents of F-1 visa holders (F-2s) are not permitted to work.

• Dependents of J-1 visa holders may be granted permission to work by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when the earnings will be used to support dependents (but not for the support of the principal exchange visitor).

• There is a special application procedure to request employment permission. Contact us and we can assist you with the application.

• F-2 spouses are only permitted to study part-time.

• F-2 children may attend elementary and secondary schools (K-12) in the United States.

• If your F-2 dependent wishes to pursue his/her own studies in the U.S., please make an appointment with an international student advisor to learn about the process of a change of status to F-1.

• J-2 dependents may pursue a full course of study in any level/program that they gain admission to.

The UCR Child Development Center (CDC) offers safe, affordable childcare and kindergarten for children ages 2 months to 5 years old. It neighbors UCR Family Housing and is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. Subsidized childcare is available to UCR students who qualify. There is a waiting list for the CDC. There are other daycare and preschool options near UCR.

Families with school-age children should bring all previous academic records (original and in English) and immunization records (either issued through the World Health Organization or from your doctor). Children must have immunization records in order to enroll in school. Otherwise, they will be required to receive immunizations prior to enrollment.

Your child will be assigned to a school according to the location of your residence in Riverside. Please call the Riverside Unified School District at 951-788-7135 for specific information regarding enrollment and attendance guidelines.

Special Events
Come to our yearly Getty Center excursion, Universal Studios trip, International Student Picnic and more! Check out our calendar for upcoming family-friendly events.

International Discussion Group

Practice your English and share your ideas at our informal weekly discussion groups. You’re invited on Mondays of the academic quarter from 5:15-6:30 p.m. at the ISRC. Refreshments are served. Further details will be sent in the ISRC Newsletters.

International Spouse & Partner Program
Make new friends, discover fun places in Riverside and share your culture. The International Spouse & Partner Program is a free program created especially for spouses, partners and children of international students, as well as the general community interested in an intercultural exchange. Past activities include Botanic Garden picnics and cultural dance presentations. See our calendar to find out when the program meets next.

Our international student advisors can help dependents with everything from dealing with homesickness and adjusting to American culture, to understanding immigration regulations and finding legal employment.

Learn more about how we can help

Jump to Top