Academic Advising Course Registration and Obtaining a UCR id card

Academic Advising

Academic advising is generally done by your designated academic advisor located within your specific college or department. They can assist you in selecting appropriate courses, determining courses to meet certain degree or graduation requirements, as well as help you stay on track for a timely program completion. E-mail addresses and phone numbers are available through various department websites. The links are available at UCR's official homepage. You may also refer to your pre-departure information for specific information on your academic advisor.


Every student is given a scheduled time to register for classes through their GROWL account online. It is important to have tuition and fees paid in a timely manner, as well as clearing other obligations to UCR or your college or department, as otherwise there may be a hold placed on your registration by various departments that will prevent you from registering for classes at your scheduled time. These holds will not be removed until you contact UCR and have them released and/or until you arrive on the UCR campus. You will then be able to register for classes upon your arrival to campus. International students are exempt from any late payment fees for their first quarter ONLY, however, if tuition and fees are still not paid by the end of the third week, you will be dropped from the classes that you have registered for, and there are no guarantees that you will be able to re-enroll for those classes once finances are in order. You can visit the Registrar's website for further information.

Obtaining a UCR ID Card

You may obtain your UCR ID card upon your arrival onto campus. UCR ID cards are distributed at the UCR Card Office at the Highlander Union Building (HUB) Suite 249 and you will need your student ID number to apply for the card, as well as a valid government-issued ID, such as your passport. Your picture will be taken there, so you do not have to provide any type of photo. The cost of the UCR card will be billed directly to your GROWL account. There will be an opportunity to get your R'Card with a group at Document Check-In during Orientation week, however you are still welcome to go by yourself at any time during their office hours.


Jump to Top